Policies and Procedures
Research Policies, Guidelines and Information
Engineering Research Administration (ERA) complies with both internal and external policies and procedures. Our research administrators (RAs) can assist with interpretation and implementation of policies that govern research conduct.
The Research Policy Handbookcontains policies, guidelines and general information addressing the conduct of research activities at Stanford. Key chapters may be accessed from the following list:
- PI Eligibility and Criteria for Exceptions
- Acting Principal Investigatorship
- FYI - School of Engineering Procedures for Requesting PI Waiver (PDF, SUNet login required)
- Conflict of Interest
- Human Subjects
- Indirect Cost Waiver
- Cost Sharing
- Charging for Administrative and Technical Expenses
- Proposing, Charging and Reporting Faculty Effort
Please visit Stanford's Administrative Guide to learn more about policies, which include accounting, gifts and procurements.
Federal Sponsor Policies
The following links provide more information about federal sponsor policies for agencies that most commonly fund engineering research.
- NSF Policy and Guidance
- NSF Proposal and Award Policies & Procedures
- NIH Grants Policy Statement
- ONR Contracts and Grants
- DOE Grants and Contracts
Please note: PIs must ensure their timelineincludes review and submission of proposals in advance; proposals are due to the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) at least 5 working days prior to the sponsor's deadline.
Each Principal Investigator (PI) in the School of Engineering is supported by a Research Administrator (RA), for both pre and post award activities. Please visit the following list of PI/RA Assignments